Creating Quick Links with HTML Block
To create a quick links block in Moodle:
1. Make sure editing is on
2. On your main course page (topics page) go to the block called Add a Block
3. Select the HTML block
4. You should now see a new block above Add a Block with the title (new HTML block)
5. Click on editing (configuration) tool of the new HTML block and you will be taken to a new screen that should look familiar. It’s the basic html editor you use in adding labels, creating pages, etc.
If you do step 6, creating the quick links block will be easier:
6. Look at the top of your screen in the bread crumbs. Right click on the short name of your course so that it opens in a new tab. Or, right click on the course name in the Navigation block. (Mac users hold down the control key and click at the same time.) You now should have one tab in your browser for editing your HTML block and one tab for your main topics page as shown immediately below:
7. Click on the browser tab that takes you to the main page of the course. On the main page of the course click on the wiki, forum, or journal link that you want to add quick links.
8. Once you are taken to the new forum page, wiki, journal page, etc. highlight and copy the URL of that page.
9. Now click on the browser tab for the html block editing screen. In the html block type the name of the resource (i.e. journal, forum, wiki) and highlight it. Click on the insert/edit URL link icon and paste in the URL. Or, instead of typed text insert a graphic. Once the graphic is inserted highlight the graphic and select the URL link icon and paste in the URL link to the page you are linking to. The graphic/icon will become a clickable link just as text is. (If you want a refresher on inserting clickable URL links in the HTML editor window, check out: How to Create a Clickable Link (this will open in a new tab or browser depending on your browser).
10. Keep repeating this process until you have added all the quick links you want to.
11. If you would like the easy links block to appear on every page in your course, note the Where this block appears section before you save. At the first choice Page contexts, select from the drop down menu: Display on ‘Your course name will be here’ and any pages within it.
eClass4learning offers the Moodle Reference Desk, our end user support system for online instructors as they create and teach online courses. It contains numerous easy to follow tutorials created by our instructors. It is a lifeline for course creators and teachers new to Moodle.